- Is your equipment in good working order? In particular get a stringer to check that your strings are the right ones for your level and that the tension isn't too low (or high!)String types/tensions can vary depending upon game style, age etc. Please see a previous BLOG for details.
- Are you physically ready? Get a diagnostic test of your current physical condition from an experienced trainer and begin an exercise programme particular to your own requirements which will help avoid injury and improve performance.
- Is your game ready for competition? Have an individual lesson with an experienced coach who will help you formulate a plan for improving your game. Avoid coaches who are overly technical in their approach. Find someone who will work more on tactics and the feel of your shots - especially when close to match season! Major technical issues need a lot of time and for adults not always a great idea in my opinion to be working on "how to" close to competition time!
4. Are you ready mentally for the stress of match play? This is perhaps the most important area to contend with and usually most overlooked. Many club players who are not used to competing on a regular basis may experience major difficulties early in the season when they are becoming used to the stress of competition!
There are some things you could do to help improve your mental state before even the first match.
- Play practice matches against other teams in your own club - this can be quite stressful especially for the higher ranked players/teams who may be worried about losing to a lower ranked player/team! Easy to arrange as long as the higher teams agree to play!!
- Then you could arrange at least one practice match against another club who are perhaps not in your league, but are of a similar level. Make sure you play using the same format and if possible a similar time to match play conditions. This can help enormously getting some of the mental cobwebs removed.
- Get your own team together for a social event which always helps with team bonding and cohesion. Could be as simple as a meal out together or for the more adventurous go-karting or even a karaoke night! Your choice!
- If doubles only (usually the case in the UK) then sort out partnerships early on and be smart about who plays with who as people generally need to like their partner on and off the court.
- Try and get a club sponsor for t-shirts to be made for all teams. A feeling of identity and club loyalty can be developed and it looks great, plus scares opponents!
Hosted Week with Ian & Laura
Trapani, Sicily 20th to 27th May - Adults only
For those of you who prefer not to drive then Trapani is a great option as we can arrange transfers to and from the tennis club with the possibility to walk out your door in the evening with a huge variety of wonderful eating places, bars and street nightlife! Experience a part of Sicily relatively untouched by mainstream tourism.
- 18 hours of tennis including coaching, doubles clinic, matchplay, tournament PLUS free court time
- Video analysis and two hours play on Monday morning (10am - 12 noon)
- An individual tennis goal sheet to work on during the week - discussed with you during the video analysis
- Social tennis for two hours on Monday afternoon
- Two hours group coaching per day (10am - 12 noon) Tuesday to Saturday with a maximum of 4 - 6 per group (usually 4)
- Extra free court time during the week
- A doubles clinic on Tuesday afternoon - tactically based for all standards
- Quality Italian lunch daily Monday to Saturday
- Fun tournament with prizes at the end of the week - with local Sicilians!
- Use of the tennis club facilities which include 3 red clay courts, 2 hard courts. a fully equipped gym, a snack bar and restaurant plus a TV room with Sky channels
- One accompanied trip during the week to introduce you to Ian and Laura's Sicily - an afternoon trip to the local island of Favignana - including an easy cycling tour to all the best sports for sightseeing and swimming (lunch is included)
- Optional meals at our favourite restaurants with the group on Tuesday and Saturday (with awards) - cost of meal not included
- Complimentary Tuscan Tennis t-shirt
- The invaluable local knowledge of Ian and Laura who can introduce you to the best the area has to offer
- Our local info guide
We also have Special Hosted Weeks in Florence, Lucca & Sardinia plus tailored holidays at all other times of the year...Trapani (Sicily) May 20th to 27th (Adults Only) 8 spaces left
Florence 21st to 28th July (Adults Only) 13 spaces left
Florence 28th July to 4th August (All Welcome)
Lucca 18th to 25th August (All Welcome)
Lucca 25th August to 1st September (Adults Only) 1 space left
Sardinia 1st to 8th September (Adults Only) 4 spaces left
Click on the locations in blue above for more information.....
Detailed above are the dates for the Ian & Laura Special Hosted Weeks for 2018, but we can arrange holidays for any duration outwith these dates.......drop Laura an email and she will send you full details....